January 21, 2008

Gramma always made the best pies...now, I try vegan-style!

Growing up my dear Gramma Julie always made me an apple pie every time I came to her house on Cape Cod. Apple pie was the best. I sometimes even ate it a la mode (haha. reference: I just watched Little Miss Sunshine last nite). I decided making a fruit pie vegan style in honor of my lovely Gramma would be an awesome thing to blog about.

On my shopping spree to M.O.C. I bought frozen Wholey Wholesome Organic Spelt pie crusts.



I also bought a bag of frozen blueberries and a bag of frozen marionberries. (I think next time I will attempt strawberry rhubarb!). I adapted the recipe from, yep, you guessed it The Joy of Vegan Baking. Although I'll admit I didn't use cornstarch. I think thats maybe the reason it ended up a bit runny. I layered the mixed berries with the soy butter, sugar mixture and popped it in the over for about 50 minutes.



It was kind of soupy after we cut into it. Does anyone know what could have caused that? But with the muffins from my last post and the delicious warm pie, we were in heaven and ready to pass out during the Motorcycle Diaries. :o) Love and light my friends.

No comments: