January 16, 2008

Welcome to my kitchen...and my life!

Hey everyone! Welcome!

Sooooo...this is my second attempt at creating a blog. My friend Lindsay and I started a fashion blog last fall with hopes of blogging from abroad. The plan unfortunately failed, but we did have a pretty stellar time in Italy. Anyways, I am creating this blog for two reasons.

1.) I have to create or use some kind of digital media as my final project for my journalism class, J412: The Digital World.

2.) I have an obsession with vegan food blogs.

I'm glad we got the assignment because it really pushed me that little bit to do what I have been talking about for a couple months now: start a vegan food blog. And guess what? I'm not even a vegan!!! I have been a vegetarian (occasionally eating fish) for about six years now. But I love vegan food and think some incredible things can be done without the use of animal products. Maybe starting this blog will cause me to eat even more of a vegan diet. I don't eat much dairy anyways (besides non-fat yogurt, which I am obsessed with, and the occasionally cheesy dish).

I am lucky enough to live in the beautiful emerald city of Eugene, Oregon. Eugene inspires me everyday to be a better and more conscious person. I think I will find it extremely difficult to leave upon graduation in the summer. Eugene is great for so many reasons (Number One: The PEOPLE!!), and one of those reasons is the extensive vegan food options abound. Both in the natural grocery stores (Sundance is my home away from home!) and at local restaurants.

In this blog I will chronicle my meals (vegan only) that I eat at all the amazing restaurants around Eugene, and meals that I prepare in my lovely house or others lovely houses. I promise to only put foods that are 100% vegan on my blog. I got two awesome vegan cookbooks over the holiday break: The Veganomicon and The Joy of Vegan Baking. I have already made four delicious sweets from The Joy of Vegan Baking, and I am so excited to start using the other soon. I will look into trying to post the recipes on this blog, but I don't know if I have the rights to do so. Otherwise, I will try to create some of my own recipes to post on here.

Thanks for visiting my blog! And I'm excited to share this journey with you.

Love and light.

6 comments:

Dinah Tigerpaw said...

I am already inspired and I can't wait to come along this journey with you! I love vegan food too, especially the sweets. My favorite Eugene treat (yes, I live here too!) is the mixed berry vegan cheesecake from Sweetlife. Thanks for sharing your creativity and love!

Alison Nicole said...

Thanks for the comment dinah tigerpaw! rarrr! :o) Eugene is wonderful, isnt it? I love the mixed berry vegan cheesecake too! Keep checking back...I plan to post on it real soon!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Your blog is so positive! I'm glad you pointed me over here : )


jess

Anonymous said...

As a carnivore I am not clear about the difference between vegan and vegetarian. Could someone clarify? Also, what are the arguments (based on both dietary and philosophical considerations) of vegan over vegetarian?

Alison Nicole said...

A vegan is someone who does not consume anything made with animals products including foods, cosmetic products and clothing.

There are differing levels of vegetarianism, but it usually means that a person does not eat meat (beef, pork, chicken, etc.) but still eats dairy products like cheese, eggs, milk, etc.

Some vegetarians do not eat eggs, while some include fish in their diets.

For more information on veganism and vegetarianism, check out this website!

http://www.vegetarianvegan.com/Vegan_Vs_Vegetarian.html

Hope that helps! And thanks for your questions!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ali,
Congratulations on the creation of your "Ali's Vegan Kitchen" Blog! I dare say you may even have inspired me to begin baking and to begin shopping in the newly opened "Organic Supermarket" here in Levallois. Yes, can you believe it? France is finally starting to catch on to what people in Eugene have apparently known for a long time! Of course, the supermarket opened AFTER your visit :-)
Keep up the good work, as we intend to keep visiting to get yummy receipes - and your cousins were soooo excited to see their picture! You inspire them in so many wonderful ways!
Alison (Gilles, Shannon and Alyssa)