January 20, 2008

Plantain, carob-chip goodness...mmm!

I went to grab dinner at the Sundance's hot food bar sometime last week, and before I left I checked the damaged food shelf where there is often times perfectly good produce for half price. I found what I thought were 3 very ripe bananas. I did notice that they looked a little oddly shaped, but I was excited to make some banana bread.

Last night I decided it was time to make the banana chocolate chip muffins from the Joy of Vegan Baking. On my M.O.C shopping spree I bought vegan carob chips and brown sugar so I was set to bake. When I defrosted the bananas (I keep them in the freezer once they start getting too brown) and started to peel away the skin my eyes were surprised by the sight of the orangey not-banana flesh. They were plantains!



Well right on baking I went.





I added crushed organic walnuts as well as the carob-chips. I think it adds a nice touch to the muffins. They turned out scrumptious!! We have been eating them non-stop. I heart plantains!

2 comments:

Portland Girl said...

I get to brag here...as Ali's roommate, I get to experience firsthand the muffins of her vegan kitchen labor. And I have to say these plantain and carob-chip muffins have had me living in the kitchen! I really liked the added detail of the walnuts on top.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I want a roommate who makes me vegan muffins! portland girl is so lucky!